If you aren't speaking german, you can ask for support or post your request here.
Antworten
watergeus5

Beitrag von watergeus5 »

I've just started using Admidio and I'm impressed. It does most of what I want for a membership system. But there's a terminology problem I can't fix.

The English translation of the string "SYS_CITY" in the en.xml file is given as "Location" which is inappropriate for addresses in English which should be "City" or "town". It seems people are trying to make one string do 2 jobs, because it's also used for locations on maps where Location is the correct word.

So I tried to change it in the en.xml as below. But nothing changed.

<string name="SYS_CITY">Town</string>

I haven't yet waded through the code but can anyone tell me how I can get the result I want? I did make sure to do a proper refresh in case CSS files were involved, but it didn't help. And it doesn't appear to have been saved in the database.
watergeus5

Re: Location

Beitrag von watergeus5 »

My problem was solved by a power cut during the night and the reboot that it triggered (on my home computer where I currently have Admidio installed). The old reboot trick was enough to update the system, whereas logging out and back in, which I'd tried earlier, didn't work.

Obviously objects on a PHP server are far more persistent than I had imagined and could cause an issue on a webserver where rebooting is beyond my control.
fasse
Administrator

Beitrag von fasse »

Hi Watergeus,

this is a wrong translation. SYS_CITY should be City or Town and not Location.

Will town be the better translation than city?

From the meaning it should be the place where you live. It's used to get your address.

Best regards
Fasse
watergeus5

Beitrag von watergeus5 »

Hi Fasse,

It's probably a difference between British and US English. American practice is to use City, whereas British systems tend to use Town. (In UK, cities were traditionally towns with a cathedral or university.) As you don't distinguish British and US English it's probably better to use City which we Brits get used to on the web. (We also have Village which corresponds to Dorf.)

I'd point out that the German version uses Ort not Stadt. As I suggested earlier, I think the term has got highjacked by someone implementing the GoogleMap search and there is a need to use a different term for that part of the system.
fasse
Administrator

Beitrag von fasse »

Thanks for the explanation. If you find other translation issues do not hesitate to contact us. Also you can change the translation for your own it would be better if we fix it in the official release.

btw. if you change translation strings than you only need to close the browser and reopen it. Than the cache will be cleared.
watergeus5

Beitrag von watergeus5 »

Thanks Fasse, you're right.

I thought that Shift-Reload (which I did) was sufficient in Firefox to clear the cache, but quitting and restarting did the job.
fasse
Administrator

Beitrag von fasse »

The problem is not the browser cache, it's the webserver cache. But if you restart your browser, the webserver thinks it's a new connection and will then also create a new session without old cache.
Antworten