where do backups go? and how to restore if necessary

If you aren't speaking german, you can ask for support or post your request here.
Antworten
plawrie

where do backups go? and how to restore if necessary

Beitrag von plawrie »

As we populate the database, I have taken several "database backups" from the menu
There hasn't been a need so far, but I cannot see a "database restore" in the menus.
I visited mysqladmin on my hosting server. All the admidio defined tables are present, but I cannot see any sign of a sql backup stored on the server.
On looking through the tables I noted adm_user_log contains nearly 19000 records which appear to comprise an entry for every data field in every record added for the 825 records in the adm_members table.
In time this table could become very large. What is its purpose?
b1bb2

Re: where do backups go? and how to restore if necessary

Beitrag von b1bb2 »

Here is how to create a backup, where it is stored, and what the initial size is.
left panel> Administration: Database backup > start> backup> Backup file> back>
Backup file: admidio/adm_my_files/backup/db_backup.*.sql.gz (11.25 kB)

I wish I knew how to restore it. I suspect that I should somehow manually put it where the current database is on the system.
There might be sql code to do that. What is the code?

Admidio has updates often. I suspect an automatic method to restore database wil be included when admidio has the resources to do so. That is my opinion.
plawrie

Beitrag von plawrie »

Thank you for the response b1bb2
I note that I can download the backup to my PC, it is a sql.gz file.
On my server phpmyadmin, it should be possible to use the SQL code in the backup to completely restore all the tables from the backup. I do have some technical ability with Linux and SQL to be able to try this, but guidance from the developers would be useful to have. phpmyadmin allows restore from a .sql file, but without trying it I am not sure whether it would unpack the .gz automatically or if I would have to do that first in a linux command shell.
As our charity is still experimenting with admidio, and I have spent quite some time loading and adjusting our membership data in line with the constraints of the product, I don't wish to risk losing the data we have at the moment by a failed attempt at a restore.

Ideally, a menu option for partial or complete restoration from any of the listed backups would be the best solution. As it does not appear in the menu, it may be too difficult to achieve.
b1bb2

Beitrag von b1bb2 »

guidance from the developers would be useful to have.
Judging from what I have read in the forum, admidio is short on developers. Here is an idea for you. Install an extra copy of admidio. Try inserting your backup file db_backup.*.sql.gz. into your new copy. Then point a link to your new copy. Warning: the method you use might be unique to your system. Diffrent commands might have diffrent results on diffrent systems. I would like to see your method and results.
fasse
Administrator

Beitrag von fasse »

We create an SQL backup only of the database. You can create that file and store it. You must insert the sql backup with an external tool like phpMyAdmin.

If you want to restore Admidio from an backup, you go with phpMyAdmin to your database, delete all existing tables there and import the sql backup script from Admidio.
plawrie

Beitrag von plawrie »

The restore works fine.
On the downloaded sql.gz file, right click and extract the .sql (I used 7-zip)
Open the .sql file with Notepad, select all with [Ctrl-A] and copy [Ctrl-C]
Using phpmyadmin on the server, delete all the tables,
Go the SQL tab and paste the copied SQL commands [Ctrl-V]
Then execute.
Antworten